Friday 6 July 2012

The Blythe Hill Tavern, Catford

Grab a squidgy stool and make yourself at home (photo courtesy of Neil  Muir / All Things Plants)
Whenever I go to the Blythe Hill Tavern I always have a really, really nice time. The first time I went there it was out of necessity, as it was the only place where we could kill 20 minutes (which turned into 40) when the curry house nearby double booked our table. I'm so glad they did - rather unassuming from the outside, the Blythe Hill Tavern is a charming and welcoming pub, and everything that a local drinking establishment should aspire to be.

And I'm not the only person who feels this way, if the fact that it this year won the CAMRA prize for south east London pub of the year is anything to go by.

It pleases me immensely that all the bartenders - who provide table service once your first drinks are nearing the end of their lives - proudly wear shirts and ties, and it's all too easy to while away a smiley evening in here with your bottomless drinks for company.

Cosy rating: 7/10 - three separate rooms, two of which have fireplaces and are distinctly cosier than the one without. My favourite is the room at the back.
Secret rating: 7/10 - popular with locals and lovers of well-kept, quality ale.
Best bits: Great place to watch the footie and other sports, with different rooms showing different events. Apparently there's a lovely beer garden, too, though I've yet to discover it.
Worst bits: No food as far as I know, so it's truly hard to say whether it's worth the trek to Catford if you live nowhere near this spirited little pub.

No comments:

Post a Comment